Search This Blog

Monday, August 22, 2011

Wildlife- Other than Bears!

Yes, we are finding some other types of wildlife on our travels.  I was pleased to get this Black-cap Chickadee at Seely Lake west of New Hazelton.  It was so cooperative I was able to shoot it with my 16-85mm lens!  We do not have these on the Island.


In the Cariboo we found a marshy area where there was a bunch of Greater Yellowlegs feeding in the muddy shoreline. 



And the next small pond had a treat for us as I spotted this loon close in to the shore.




After dinner I noticed this Mule deer right behind our campsite.  Now, this is the reason we started RVing- to be where the wildlife is!  I really liked how she had to smell the flowers!


I stayed far enough away, the advantage of using a 500mm lens, that she became used to me and even settled down for a rest.


 I had seen a buck with her earlier but he was not coming out into the open. I knew if I waited long enough he would get the nerve to join her. I was rewarded for the wait after a couple of hours. A nice two-point in velvet.


As I was drinking my coffee the next morning and listening to a pack of Coyotes off in the trees somewhere I heard a munching noise coming from only a few meters from the open door of the trailer.  I looked up to see both of these deer had spent the night right behind our trailer and were happily eating their breakfast secure in the knowledge that those Coyotes wouldn't venture this close to humans.


1 comment:

  1. Love the first phalarope image Gordon --- the way they're positioned w/o any mergers.

    ReplyDelete